History of Murud Janjira Fort
Located along the Konkan coast, close to Alibaug, this fort has a history of being an undefeated fort. The fort was built by the Siddi dynasty. The fort was attacked by the Marathas and the Dutch but despite several attempts, failed to conquer this fort. The approach to fort it through the sea. There are several boats that ferry you across. As you approach the entrance, you see the waves lashing onto the steps, and the fun of it is when you need to literally jump across to these steps from the boat.
Interiors of the Murud Janjira Fort
Getting to Murud Janjira:
- Murud Janjira is around 160 kms from Mumbai as well as Pune and around 50kms from Alibaug.
- Travel by road is the easiest way to reach this place
- Once here, one needs to take a ferry from the Rajapuri jetty to the fort.
- Wear light cotton clothes and carry a change, just in case you get wet. Weather here is fairly pleasant and warm throughout the year.
- Flat, comfortable shoes are a must, especially, if you end up having to jump to the fort entrance.
- Fort is open from morning sunrise to sunset.
- The ferry ride could cost anything between INR30 – 50. One can even hire a guide whilst here to understand the fort better. The guide needs to be hired at the jetty.
- There are some lovely restaurants in the town for some good Maharashtrian food.
- For a stay, there are some small hotels and guest homes available. One can even stay at the Kashid beach, 20 kms away, where there are plenty of resorts and home-stays available.