1) Go Snorkeling and Dolphin Spotting in Karwar
Karwar offers a lot of water sports – from snorkeling to dolphin spotting, kayaking and banana boat rides. There are several adventure centers that are available in the town, most of them associated with the various lodges and resorts. Rates for the same are quite reasonable. Snorkeling is best done during October to February. During the other months, it may not be available as the water is not clear all round the year. Unfortunately for me, I missed the same in April, but hope to catch it some other time. The water is fairly safe for activities with the kids. Of course they will be guided by the instructors.
2) Explore the Beaches at Karwar
3) Trek along those rocks
4) Go River Rafting
About 100kms from Karwar – a day trip away, lies the town of Dandeli. The town is on the banks of the same river- Kali that empties itself into the Arabian Sea at Karwar. The River Kali in Dandeli is known for its Grade 3 rapids, making it a thrilling experience for those who enjoy white water rafting. Besides rafting, one can also, enjoy activities like Rapelling, Kayaking, Cave exploration, Natural jacuzzis etc.
5) Savor the local food
Karwar is a place for foodies, especially if you are a fish-eater. There are numerous small restaurants that serve authentic Karwar cuisine and amongst the dishes, one must definitely try out the Rava Fish Fry, Fish Masala and Fish biryani.
All in all, Karwar offers you enough of outdoors with some amazing food – what more would anyone want when on a holiday 🙂
Getting to Karwar:
- Karwar is easily accessible by road from Bangalore, Pune and Mumbai. The road conditions are fairly good and the drive really scenic.
- The nearest airport to Karwar is Dabolim in Goa. This is around 100 kms from the main Karwar town.
- By rail, one can reach Karwar through the Konkan railways. Click here to access information on various trains to this town.
- The best time to visit Karwar is from October to May. The weather is quite pleasant during this time. However, for the water sports, note that the best time would be until February while the water is clear for snorkeling. For Dandeli, September to December would be ideal for river rafting.
- The town is fairly well-developed and one can easily find essentials here.
- There are plenty of good resorts, eco-resorts and home-stays available in Karwar. The Devbagh jungle lodges are quite recommended. Most of these places are well connected with the providers of adventure sports. People are quite friendly here and are happy to guide the travelers around.